Friday, May 16, 2008

I'm No Angel But I've Spread My Wings - Part 2

Title: I'm No Angel But I've Spread My Wings
Author: Winnie Loo
Chapter: 2/10
Fandom: The Click Five
Rating: PG - angst, swearing.
Summary: What happens when your whole world changes because of something so small that eventually gets larger?
Author Notes: I know, I know, some of you - most of you - don't like The Click Five except you boardies out there who read my blog (if you're reading - or re-reading, I love you), but give me a chance and do read this! Constructive comments are ALWAYS appreciated. :) NO SLASH. I PROMISE.

PART TWO

Dr. Morrison makes Joey lie down on a cold hard metal table and presses and prods his back for what seems like ages.

Dr. Morrison has been Joey’s doctor for almost all his life. Joey can still remember the first time he’d ever been within the whitewashed walls of Dr.Morrison’s room and how he’d gotten there.

It was when he was five, and his parents and him were taking a walk around the area, him in between his mom and dad, licking at a vanilla ice cream cone. Too concentrated on the sticky ice cream leaking down the side of the cone and onto his hand, little Joey didn’t take notice of the uneven patch of road up ahead of him and he tripped. The ice cream cone went flying, and he had scraped his knee badly. Mom and Dad had hurriedly brought a screaming Joey into the nearby clinic.

“Hmm,” Dr. Morrison says, after he presses an agonizingly cold, metal instrument that makes Joey shiver uncomfortably on one of the bumps, “I think we’ll have to do an x-ray on you.”

Joey groans, and Ethan can only comfort him, careful not to pat his upper back.

*

Ethan receives messages from Ben's phone exactly eight times while Joey is examined.

"What's happening?"

and

"Is he all right?"

and

"Hey, are you sure Joey's all right?"

and

"Ask the doctor if it's okay to give him the painkillers i'm giving him."

and

"Hey Ethhhhh what's happening to Joey?"

and

"Hellooo?"

and

"ETHAN MENTZER. DO YOU NOT KNOW HOW TO USE A SIDEKICK?"

and

"Hey Ethan. Kyle here. Had 2 wrestle phone out of Ben's hands. Sry if he was bothering you. Anyway, hope everything's goin on fine ovr there. Call if anything. - KP"

Ethan just rolls his eyes and switches off his phone.

*

“Hmm,” Dr Morrison says again, some time later after the x-ray process is done. He holds up a negative sheet showing Joey's spine.

Joey stares at it in awe - so does Ethan. Ben was right. His bones were growing again. But why, he did not know.

"I have not seen anything like this before in my entire forty years of being in the medical field," Dr. Morrison proclaims, leading Joey and Ethan into his consultation room. "Your bones over here -" he points to a spot on the x-ray, "- and here -" he points to another "- are definitely growing again." He raises an eyebrow at Joey.

"So ... um, is it dangerous?" Joey says, at the same time Ethan says "Is he going to die?" in a very panicked tone.

Joey shoots a look at Ethan. Ethan doesn't return it.

"No, it's definitely not cancerous. They're also not tumors. It's a miracle, really. But this is weird. I don't know what to say," Dr. Morrison leans back into his leather deskchair and rubs his chin, deep in thought, "Your shoulder blades don't end where they should end."

Joey stares at the x-ray in his hands in awe.

"There's nothing much I can do, except to give you more painkillers and see what happens next," Morrison says, scribbling into a small manila booklet, then he looks Joey straight in the eye, "If I didn't know better, I'd say you were growing wings."

No comments: